Next Move: The Gear Up


My near (yet far) future? A road to a PhD in biochemistry, molecular and cellular biology at Cornell University. I got into the program, now what about it? No clue. I'll probably leave as a Dr. by the time I'm 30 (praying for younger). As with all else, I'll plan for it as best as I can and then hope for the best.

How this topic fits into this blog is the question regarding the fate of my rowing life. After 3 years of intense focus and dedication to my collegiate rowing life, how does one deal with a transition from studious nerd to nerd-nerd? The sport has become part of who I am now; there must be a way around this problem....

I did contemplate about trying to walk-on Cornell's novice lightweight crew. At this point, I just want to row. But at 5' 8'', 140 lbs (and slowly dropping), I would think that they try to find the coxswain in me. Am I definitely NOT coxswain material. Of all things, fast-thinking and multitasking is not my thing. I am a critical thinker, of course, but not fast. (Say I do become a coxswain for Cornell, at least I'll be one of the strongest coxswains the crew would ever have!)

My other obstacle (the much more substantial one) is the fact that I would be a PhD graduate student at Cornell. Looking at my first-year course work, competitive crew already seems highly unlikely. As a grad student, I am not only a student but an employee. They are paying me to study AND to work in the lab. The stakes get much higher. Furthermore, I do not know whether I am even eligible for NCAA status as a graduate student. As far as I know, there are none on the team roster.

Whatever the case, I am confident things will work out sooner or later. Patience tend to solve things. Maybe I'll find a nearby rowing club. Until then, all I know is I need to be ready for any opportunities that may await for me.

Hence, my plan for this summer shall be studying, gaining healthy weight, and staying in optimum physical-mental shape.

0 comments:

Post a Comment