Culmination of Winter Training 2010

Winter Training: Jan 4, 2010 - Mar 19, 2010.

Two and a half months apparently, in my case, equates to 3.5 seconds. Today marks my end to winter training. What better way to end it all than with a 2k test. THE 2K TEST in my mind.

Since the beginning of training, my mind was set on a 7:20.0 flat minimum. All the nights, weekends, the 150k+ erggings: for that 1:50.0 split.

I started strong, feeling perfectly comfortable: going at 1:48-1:51 for the first 1000. For the next 400m or so, I kept fairly steady my 1:50 pace. Then, my foolish "rest" came about for the next 10 strokes, 1:52-1:53. In the end, I finished at 7:20.5 (1:50.1, 30spm).

Uncontrollably, that was when absolute rage hit me. I was literally half a second from my goal. I knew that those 10 rest strokes cost me my race. I guess it's true, the game of inches (in this case, probably centimeters).

The night before, I was reading quotes from the Oxford-Cambridge crews of the 2009 boatrace. The one that really struck me was from an Oxford rower. Rowing to finish first, even if that means a trip to the ambulance afterward. I wanted that mindset. This morning, I lacked that. I was able to limp about, feel angry, throw things: that is how I know my mind has not fully matured.

I will not be visiting the erg room as frequently anymore. I came a hair-close to what I wanted but not close enough. I can not ignore the fact that I demolished my previous 2k PR of 7:24 but I don't fear making goals that are too high, I fear making goals that are too low. Now that rowing season is just around the corner and rowing camp at Camp Bob is coming up, I should have a bit of wiggle room left for possible self-redemption.

0 comments:

Post a Comment