Winter Training - Solo Journey Day 8

Today marks the 8th. day of my winter training this month. While it's winter school break, and everyone's decided to take this time to relax and do other stuff, I've taken the challenge of coming back and starting my training early...SOLO.

At the onset of coming back to the erg room, I was intent on following the Pete Plan (http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/the-pete-plan/). The goal was to hit the bricks early on the erg so that I can hopeful hit a 7 minute 2K on the erg. Right now, after 3 years of rowing, my best 2K time is 7:24. But I've never pushed myself as insanely as I was planning to.

Right now, I must say it's gotten much harder every single day. In addition to following the plan 5 days a week (since last week) I've been adding 3-4 nights of weight training a week. Only 8 days into my program, and I'm learning quickly how mentally and spiritually taxing all this solo working out is. I look and feel stronger, but the wear and tear on the spirit is immensely draining.

I've been trying to find a way to avoid this "winter training slump" so many rowers experience but so far I haven't found one that's good for the long term. I did find a great short-term one though: the Rocky movies and soundtracks. They are great! Honestly, they were the only reasons I was mentally able to finish my first week through and through.

But what happens when they become overused? That's what I'm trying to figure out now. Hopefully I'll be able to follow up my routine training soon. Until then, I guess it's continue the grind and pray my spirit doesn't die.

0 comments:

Post a Comment