Winter Training - Solo Journey Day 9


So as promised, I've decided to keep some updates on my solo training (which will last for another week until the winter break ends and the crew returns).

It was roughly 9:10am when I arrived onto the erg-room on-campus. Above is a snapshot of that hellishly beautiful place where agony meets pure self-empowerment. Today's workout: a steady-state 8k (18 to 22 spm). Took it moderately easy today with a 2:09.5 split. Yesterday was a hard day ( 4 x 2000m). I've been trying to alternate "easy" and hard days just so I don't burn out too much.
After the ergo workout came food shopping (my frig. that morning was completely EMPTY!), studying, and napping. Then came the evening gym session with full-body, low-moderate weight training exertion. Just enough to stimulate the muscles.

I've been trying to gain some muscle mass (140 pounds is a bit too light even for collegiate lightweights). This morning, I weighed in at 142 pre-erg workout (140 after). This comes after weighing in at 139 pre-erg workouts for the pass 8 days. For the last 3 years, I've been fluctuating anywhere from 136 lbs up to 140 lbs. I'm praying this up-trend continues a bit more to make a tiny bit easier for cutting my erg times. I know erg times do NOT translate into rowing success, but facing the facts...I'm too light and below average rowers' height (5'8'') and I need to make up that difference in power.

But after all this serious work work work talk, I like to end my day on a light note. So, on a rare occasion, I decided to cook up something I've never cooked up before. Some nice baked ziti. I promise this isn't my usual diet, I SWEAR! But, can't hurt so much to indulge a bit now and then.

0 comments:

Post a Comment